“Tell us about yourself?”
This can be the toughest question! But equally the most important.
Your “elevator pitch” is your first opportunity to “sell yourself/ stand out from the crowd” to a potential employer in the time it takes to travel from the ground to the top floor of a building.
Elevator pitches are something we dive into during our one on one interview training, where we provide a structure to support answering this question. See here https://www.interview.nz/interview-coaching
Points to think about:
· Short and to the point
· You should be able to pull information from your CV
· What is your current situation
· What have you been involved in
· Where do you see yourself in the future
· Have an element/focus on the needs of the organisation and/or needs of the people within the organisation
· Decide where you want to start, what you want to talk about and then decide where you want to end your story
· Be yourself, feel comfortable, don’t sound like you’re reading a ‘script’
· Practice, practice, practice! Use a mirror, friends, or family until you feel comfortable and confident
1. Why should I hire you?
2. Why do you want to work here?
3. Tell me about yourself?
4. Why would you be a good fit here?